Thursday, November 10, 2011

Salesians: Contemplatives in Action

In my previous blog post I spoke about our induction into the pre-novitiate. I also mentioned how we go on “outings” weekly as a group, and that the Thursday blog posts will be dedicated to speaking about these outings. Well…………that will not be the case this week.

This Wednesday we did not go on an outing, because we are preparing for a week long excursion next week to Chicago and Indianapolis. We will be leaving this upcoming Sunday afternoon, and driving to Chicago through the night, visiting St. John Bosco Parish in Chicago for a time, and then leaving on Wednesday to drive to Indianapolis for the NCYC. Look forward to next week’s Thursday blog post for updates on our trip.

Now to the title of this blog! What does it mean to be a “contemplative in action”. For us as Salesians, we are always working. Even for us in formation, though we are not involved in any set daily apostolate (teaching at a school, running a daily youth center), we are always busy with our studies or travels. So when do we pray?

We need not look any further than Don Bosco. It is interesting to know that when Don Bosco’s cause for canonization was under scrutiny, there were many objections that Don Bosco prayed very little. He was so caught up in work that he never took significant time aside to pray. But a Cardinal answered this objection by saying this: “It is not true that Don Bosco prayed very little, but the truth is, his whole life was a prayer!”

Every moment of our lives we are in God’s presence. He is a part of our world, and His Spirit is always moving, if only we listen and are open to it. In this way, for us as Salesians, we recognize this presence, and are always mindful, just as much as we would be in Chapel and prayer. And when we do this, our action becomes our prayer! Therefore the title: Active contemplative. Always working, but always praying!!!!

Lord, help me to always be aware of your presence in my life. May I work with tireless zeal for whatever you call me to do in my life right now. May I listen to your call for where you want me to go. Help me to always know you are with me. Guide my feet!

St. Leo the great, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment