Friday, February 3, 2012

Practicing the Presence of God

I hope y'all are ready... As a good friend of mine likes to say, "We're about to have some Church!"

I spent the last two days down in Washington DC witnessing to the joy and beauty of the Salesian Vocation, and it hit me as soon as I stepped onto the campus of Don Bosco Cristo Rey High School- this is a great opportunity to just jump right in and experience and share the experience of God's great love for us. Have you ever just felt like the Spirit was moving, working all around you? Take a quick moment and give praise to God if you've ever felt that- the presence of God abuzz around you!

I was there for two days and I got to witness, not just by my words but by my actions. I got to share my story but more importantly I was able to help wake up some of our young people to God's moving among them- we like to call that Practicing the Presence of God. When you are able to see the fingerprints of God all over what you do day in and day out. It's a special gift, a grace from God to be able to sense God's presence in our Ordinary Life.

Later into my trip, I was able to witness again at a Vocations assembly- we were blessed to have Bishop Holley with us, and we also had various members of the Salesian Family witnessing with their lives to the power and presence of God. The beauty of it all was that it was joyful! The assembly was full of laughter and affirmation that the young people there have a strong sense of being part of this huge Salesian Family.

Now it's back to the daily grind, but praise God- with the help of the community and the liturgy, we are given the grace to sense God's presence all around us. Let's take a time out to say a prayer for this gift from God to see His divine fingerprints all over creation:

Loving Father, Awesome Creator, Worker of Wonders,
You in your infinite wisdom and love have gifted us with the Holy Spirit,
You have gifted us with your Presence in and among us.
Help us to see You everywhere, not just in the mountaintop experiences,
but in the valleys, in those low moments.
We praise you for Your great glory, Father!
In your goodness, you provide us with friends and family,
moments and opportunities for You to reveal your Divine Self to us.
Help us to see those around us as tabernacles, temples, monuments to Your profound and deep love for us.
We ask for these graces, these gifts, in the name of Your Son, Jesus, the Word made Flesh.
Amen!

Give the song a listen- it's called Over My Head, and it's by the Montreal Jubilation Choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment