Monday, July 2, 2012

Facebook: Blessing or Curse?



Many may have their rants about the social media, how it is bringing down IQ levels or lowering our youth's ability to communicate and interact with the world around them or even endangering our youth.  And most of these rants are centered around truth.  We should be cautious and protective of our youth today, especially in a society that seems to forget them.  I, myself, even tend to forget the goods of the Internet and the social media.


It wasn't until two days ago, when I found out some heart-wrenching news, that I realized the great gift that the social media is.  


It was through Facebook that I realized that a friend of mine from my years at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio, had recently and suddenly passed away.  This, of course, came as a complete shock to me, considering he was so very young, having just graduated from college.  


But not only did the social media, Facebook in this case, relay this information of my friend Tyler's death; it also showed me and the internet world how wonderful a life Tyler lived.  Immediately, stories of his life and prayers for him and his family flooded Tyler's facebook page.  An opportunity for persons to say "see you later" and "see you in the Eucharist" and reminisce on the great gift Tyler was to them was now made possible through the internet. 

It was then that I realized how beautiful God's gifts to us are...including Facebook. 






May we all learn this day not only to use the gifts God has given us but to use them well and for His greater glory.  After all, for what else but this were we created?


May God continue to bless you today and always. 
Happy Monday!
Posted by: Jared R.

No comments:

Post a Comment